Sunday, July 24, 2011

Freedom

Me: I know this is not the right time to say it, but I have to. Right after almost all the terrorist attack on the Western world, most people would suspect the "Orientals", namely, Middle Easterners and other religious countries. But it is not always the case.

Lucia: True that. I wonder why.

Ariadne: True. I wonder why the New York Times just got away with naming a random Islamic group for the Oslo attack

Me: because we need to respect the freedom of speech, freedom of press, freedom of suspect and the freedom of imagination

Ariadne: ‪I didn't say the opposite. But if a major newspaper is running such a big story, they can, you know, apologise afterwards. Or check their sources in the first place. This is called journalistic integrity.‬

Me: I'm afraid, facing one of the strongest stereotypes and political reality, journalistic integrity is so trivial and thus marginalized..

No comments:

Post a Comment