Saturday, March 27, 2010

Love of Parents

Our parents have known us way much better than we do. My mother has known me as early since the time she could feel my existence inside her body. It’s over 23 years. Just imagine how many friends in one’s life have 23 years’ friendship with you and will always be your side, even if it’s only mentally companying. Before we reach the age of 18, we barely know ourselves. We don’t know what our future may look like. We don’t have a clear plan or even a clear life goal. We don’t know what kind of people we’re becoming. But our parents know much more than us.

I believe one’s inborn talents and ability only serves a tiny proportion in directing one’s life. I’m not saying that someone with IQ below 100 can one day become a great scientist like Einstein or someone. What I mean is that one’s life is not only about achievement. So from this perspective, talents and ability only contribute a very limit proportion of one’s life story. Life is about everything. Love, hatred, happiness, sorrows, destiny, struggle, dreams, despairs, mobility, consistence, endurance, ignorance, and the list goes on and on.

So how could we know our future or our life? We don’t have a clue until we are really experiencing them. But our parents are different. They are like scientists in a sense. And our home is like a laboratory. Our life is like an experiment. The time length of this experiment is our age. For me, my parents have been doing this experiment for more than 23 years. They recorded every little detail and wrote down all the data of me in their own way. They processed those results and reactions very carefully and they analyzed me extremely thoroughly. This is what makes them more professional than me. They’re more experienced in predicting my behavior and my very actions to every possible situation. Their constant devotion and affluent experience renders their predictions much more strong and accurate than mine. They understand me better.

I always tell a joke that “actually, my mother’s major is Guan He Management, while English Literature was only her minor in college”. My mother laughs on this joke. But at the same time she’s so proud to be my president, my director, my supervisor, and then becomes my counselor, my assistant, and my match-maker, my “au pair”. I will surpass her someday in my life achievement and I’m doing and witnessing it. But I will never succeed her in one single thing: she will always be the one who understands me best and love me best. This time it is me who feel so proud of her. As someone “successful”, s/he must have an extraordinarily prominent ability to rule others out of the game. Then my mother’s unparalleled ability is the knowledge of the girl/young woman named Guan He.

As long as I’m alive in this world, she is the best manager and success. So I will try my best to survive and thrive in this world no matter how hard it is. Because I know that her very existence has already depended on my existence. I will live a better life for me, and more for her. And this is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment